Divorce can be an incredibly stressful experience for most couples. Emotions run high, and you may not understand how your state manages to determine property division, child custody, child support, and other matters included in your divorce agreement. Before you begin, here are a few useful pieces of information to know.
- Do consult an attorney
- Do create boundaries for communication between yourself and your ex
- Do cooperate as much as possible with your ex
- Do support your children through this process (if you have children)
- Do research on where to file and what you need to discuss with your ex
- Do close all joint credit accounts
- Do get credit accounts in your own name
- Don’t lose your temper with your ex
- Don’t make plans to take a job out of state or move out of the country until your divorce is final
- Don’t violate any temporary custody or visitation arrangements
- Don’t hide assets among friends and family to keep from your ex
- Don’t start a new relationship
- Don’t overshare on social media
- Don’t use your children as pawns or to communicate with your ex
If you and your spouse are thinking of getting a divorce, discuss your options with our skilled Katy divorce lawyers as soon as possible. You have many options for divorcing, including mediation and uncontested divorce, which could save you time and money. Talk to us about your legal goals in a case consultation. Adams Law Firm can offer you more than 35 years of legal experience. Let us use our knowledge and skill to help you and your family through this challenging and emotional process.
Contact us at (281) 764-6087 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation with us today!